About us

George Street United Church (GSUC) was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador for its aesthetic and historical value. We are located at 130 George Street with an office entrance at 25 Buchanan Street.

 

George Street United Church was designed by well-known British architect, Elijah Hoole – the son of a Methodist missionary. Hoole specialized in building Methodist churches and settlement houses in England. George Street United Church is a good example of Gothic Revival architecture. After George Street United Church, Hoole went on to design Gower Street United's current church building in 1894.

On Monday, May 27th, 1872 a procession marched west from "Mother Church" (Gower Street United) with the cornerstone. Upon arrival to the site, the stone was laid by Hon. Stephan Rendell, prominent merchant, and MHA for Trinity. Construction on the church moved very quickly and 19 months later, on December 14, 1873, the church was officially dedicated and opened.

Since its construction over 145 years ago George Street United has stood tall in the downtown skyline having played witness to multiple great fires, the first transatlantic wireless signal, the first non-stop transatlantic aircraft flight, a harbour at war, the rise and fall of the fishery, and the rise of the oil industry. Throughout its journey, the church has hosted well over 10,000 services and has been home to over 40 full-time ministers.

 

Rev. John Pratt 1875 - 1877

Rev. William Kendall 1877 - 1879

Rev. Job Shenton 1878 - 1881

Rev. George P. Story 1879 - 1880

Rev. C.J. Duffill 1881 - 1882

Rev. T.H. James 1881 - 1883

Rev. George Boyd 1883 - 1886

Rev. George J. Bond D.D. 1886 - 1889

Rev. A.D. Norton D.D. 1890 - 1893

Rev. Humphrey Pickard Cowperthwaite M.A. 1893 - 1896

Rev. J.T. Newman 1896 - 1898

Rev. George B. Heale 1899 - 1900

Rev. J.L. Dawson B.A. 1900 - 1902

Rev. W.T.D. Dunn 1903 - 1905

Rev. Charles Hackett 1905 - 1909

Rev. J. W. Barrett 1909 - 1914

Rev. N. M. Guy 1914 - 1917

Rev. D. B. Hemmeon 1917 - 1921

Rev. Robert Fairbairn 1921 - 1925

Rev. Charles H. Johnson 1925 - 1929

Rev. Ira F. Curtis 1930 - 1936

Rev. A. Allison Rogers 1936 - 1940

Rev. A. F. Binnington 1940 - 1944

Rev. A. R. Baggs 1944 - 1952

Rev. A. J. McKim 1952 - 1957

Hon. P. J. Hommerson 1957 - 1961

Rev. Naboth Winsor 1961 - 1968

Rev. B. B. Snow 1968 - 1979

Rev. W. A. Coish 1979 - 1996

Rev. John Bursey 1996 - 1998

Rev. Melvin Ralph 1998 - 2000

Rev. Wayne Cole 2000 - 2004

Rev. Wendy Cronhelm 2004 - 2005

Rev. Kelly Hudson 2005 - 2008

Rev. Miriam Bowlby 2009 - 2009

Rev. Susan White 2009 - 2015

Rev. F. John Adams 2016 - 2017

Rev. Peter Bartlett 2017- 2019

Rev. John Maich 2019 - Present

Untitled design (10).png

Rev. John

Maich

Minister

download (6).png

Vacant

Organist &

Senior Choir Director

IMG_4143.jpg

Mr. George

Parsons

Operations Manager

Our Staff

Untitled design (22).png

Mr. Reg

Rumsey

Sexton

unnamed (4).jpg

Ms. Nancy 

McCarthy

Office Administrator